DbI's objectives are:
- to promote and improve the recognition and awareness of deafblindness as a unique congenital or acquired disability that affects children, adults and elderly people
- to support the civil rights of deafblind people and the equalisation of opportunities in all aspects of life
- to encourage the development of networks and opportunities for association and learning for professionals and to the benefit of deafblind people and their families
- to enable interaction between deafblind people, families, professionals, organisations in the field and the wider community
- to promote and improve education and opportunities for development for deafblind people
- to encourage support and services for deafblind people that lead to self-determination and quality of life
- to promote and improve quality in services for deafblind people by encouraging research, staff development and training, policies that lead to good practice and the dissemination of information.